MOUNT SINAI MEDICAL CENTER
1470 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10029
Mission: The mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through education and research to many diverse communities.
The Mesothelioma Center is part of the Tisch Cancer Institute at Mount Sinai Hospital.
History: The hospital has long history and opened 1855 and was named Jew’s Hospital. The hospital was originally serving a predominantly Jewish population. In 1866 the hospital changed its name to Mount Sinai Hospital as if grew to serve a more diverse population. Dr. Selikoff was a leading expert on occupational diseases at Mount Sinai. Dr. Selikoff became world renowned for being an expert about diseases caused by asbestos. After his death the division was renamed the “Irving J Selikoff Center for Occupational and Environmental Medicine”.
Team: The Mount Sinai Mesothelioma Division of the Thoracic Surgery Department is lead by many world renowned physicians.
- Raja Flores is the Chief of the division of Thoracic Surgery and Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Claudia Henshke, PhD, MD- Director Lung Screening Program, Professor of Radiology, head of International Early Lung Cancer Action Program which is an international group of lung cancer experts.
- Paolo Boffetta M.D. Director, Institute for Translational Epidemiology and Associate Director for Population Sciences at the Tisch Cancer Institute of the Icahn School of Medicine. Research is focused on cancer epidemiology and prevention
- Jorge Gomez, MD- Medical Director of Thoracic Oncology Program- medical oncologist whose research interests include incorporation of new theraputic agents into the standard treatment of lung cancer through clinical trials
- Charles Powell MD- Chief Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine- research centers on understanding the genetic and susceptibility factors for lung cancer and mesothelioma. He is the Chair of the Thoracic Oncology Section of the American Thoracic Society
- Kenneth Rosenzweig M.D.- Chairman Department of Radiation Oncology- developed innovative methods for the delivery of precise doses of radiation to lung tumors , World renowned researcher has written extensively on radiation therapy.
The Mount Sinai team includes pathologists, radiologists, pulmonologists and thoracic surgeons.
Affiliations: Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and seven member hospitals of the Mount Sinai Hospital System
Research: Mount Sinai has a history of extensive groundbreaking research. Some of their focus has been on molecular pathways in mesothelioma, molecular testing, lung screening, immune-fighting cells in the lung, biological indicators of aggressive early-stage lung cancer. In addition, Dr. Flores is involved with the Libby Epidemiology Research Program.
Support Services: Mount Sinai has many services for the patients and families. Some of the services are Hispanic initiatives, translational services, social work services, spiritual services and patient representatives.
Contact: 212-241-9466 for an appointment with Thoracic Division
Dr. Raja Flores
Chairman Department of Thoracic Surgery